As 2017 comes to a close, many individuals and families show their appreciation for family, friends, and their community through charitable donations. During this holiday season, consider giving the gift of health by donating to the John Muir Health Foundation. Your contribution will help advance John Muir Health’s medical services, research, and community impact.
What Is the John Muir Health Foundation?
The John Muir Health Foundation is a non-profit organization “dedicated to inspiring and stewarding philanthropic support for all programs, services and facilities of John Muir Health.” Unlike some for-profit hospital systems, John Muir Health relies on donors to grow and sustain its operations.
The John Muir Health Foundation serves as the fundraising organization for John Muir Health, one of the Bay Area’s preeminent medical systems. John Muir Health operates two of the largest hospitals in Contra Costa County and the county’s only designated trauma center. John Muir Health’s team of specialists, primary care physicians, and other medical providers have built a reputation for excellence and compassion.
Donations Improve Patient Experiences and Help Address Unmet Needs
When you donate to the John Muir Health Foundation, your contribution directly benefits our community. 100% of all donations are used to support patient care, ensure high-quality medical services, and save and improve lives in the Bay Area. In 2016, donations were used to cover:
- Unpaid costs of medical care: 72%
- Charity care: 12%
- Health improvement programs and services: 10%
- Health care professional education and research: 4%
- Financial and in-kind contributions: 2%
How Can I Support John Muir Health?
Regardless of the size of your gift, John Muir Health appreciates every donation, and even modest gifts add up. For example, John Muir Health used a series of combined gifts (ranging from $5 to $25,000 each) to purchase $6 million in surgical robots for its hospitals, with the goal of improving surgical outcomes and decreasing patient recovery times.
The John Muir Health Fund is the Foundation’s general fund. Unrestricted donations to the John Muir Health Fund give the Foundation flexibility, allowing it to address the organization’s most pressing concerns and projects.
The donation process is relatively simple. You can contribute online, by telephone at (925) 947-4449, or by mailing your donation to the John Muir Health Foundation. You can donate to any of the Foundation’s programs through an unrestricted, restricted, or legacy gift.
Designated gifts are a popular way to honor a loved one or physician. You can direct your donation to a specific program at John Muir Health, such as:
- Behavioral Health Services: Changes to California’s mental health system have caused a behavioral health crisis. Help deliver individualized care and treatment programs.
- Cancer Services: Support the Bay Area’s only American College of Surgeons/Commission on Cancer accredited Integrated Network Cancer Program.
- Cardiovascular Services: Enhance John Muir Health’s cardiovascular programs and research.
- Caring Hands Volunteer Caregivers Program: Provide free, non-medical services to community seniors, reducing their social isolation, improving the quality of their lives, and offering needed respite to other caregivers.
- Children’s Health: More than 3,300 infants spend time in John Muir Health’s Level II NICO each year. Your gift will support children’s health efforts and Contra Costa county’s only Community Level III ICU nursery.
- Diabetes Services: Foster John Muir Health’s nationally-recognized diabetes self-management program, keeping community members with diabetes healthy and out of the hospital.
- Family Medicine Residency Program: Help train medical students as family medicine physicians, address the shortage of Bay Area general providers, and ensure quality health care for disadvantaged and at-risk community members.
- Orthopedic Services: Help California’s only non-academic orthopedic program grow and advance.
- Neurosciences: Help with community stroke awareness and support John Muir Health’s neuroscience rehabilitation and treatment programs.
- Nursing Education: Increase our Magnet Recognized nurses’ education and training, and improve patient experiences and outcomes.
- Spiritual Support: Help our medically-trained, ordained clergy members guide patients and family members through health crises, chronic illnesses, and end-of-life care.
- Women’s Health Services: Support a wide range of women’s health services, including one of the four Certified Quality Breast Centers of Excellence in the U.S.
You can also support John Muir Health by bequeathing property to the organization through your will, trust, or estate plan. John Muir Health also accepts gifts of investments.
Learn More About Canopy Health and John Muir Health’s Alliance
Canopy Health supports all our affiliate organizations, including John Muir Health, which is one of our founding entities. If you have questions about our network of over 4,000 physicians and dozens of renowned hospitals and care centers, call us at 888-8-CANOPY.